Let’s start off with the basics. A Quonset hut is a type of metal building made of corrugated metal and which has a semicircular cross section. It closely resembles an airshed – only that’s fit for living.
Most people choose to live in a Quonset hut because these are known as some of the strongest buildings in the world, not to mention the costs associated with building one. On top of that, such a hut is portable and requires very little maintenance.
With a property market that’s so uncertain, it’s only natural that people started looking for alternatives when it comes to homes and living the life that you want to live. Instead of spending more than they can afford on a conventional house, people nowadays will go as far as to live in a shipping container. Obviously, one that has been designed and decorated to accommodate people.
How Much Does a Quonset Hut Cost?
When buying the kit for such a hut or building one yourself, you will come across many different prices. This is because everything you can think about when it comes to home-building has to be taken into account with a Quonset hut as well.
- For example, small to medium kits meant for a workshop, garage, or storage areas that have no foundation can cost you $1,500 to $15,000. However, if you want workers to build your structure, then the price will increase from$3,000 to $25,000.
- In terms of medium huts, they can cost you around $5,000 to $35,000. Depending on location, size, and accessories, this price can increase to $10,000/$50,000.
- When it comes to carefree living, a proper Quonset hut, complete and fully built, will cost you around $40,000.
- However, if you want an 80’ x 200’ large Quonset hut to live in with your whole family, you will have to pay as much as $100,000.
- A good average range to use for back of a napkin calculations is $6-$12/sq.ft.
If you want more specific data, the average cost per square foot ranges from $5 to $15. Still, keep in mind that these costs do not include the cement floor.
Can You Live in a Quonset Hut?
Before asking yourself if you can live in a Quonset hut, we have to remember the fact that its interior is 100% usable and ready to be transformed by you, the proud homeowner. The exterior can be designed and painted in the way you want as well. Basically, you have full creative freedom with a Quonset hut.
Obviously, you can live in such a home, without having any sort of issues. It comes with low cost and functionality. One of the strongest types of buildings on Earth. It can resist strong winds, storms, fires, and hurricanes. Fully Customizable Living Space. Clearly, one of the best benefits of a Quonset hut. You have the possibility to design the interior of your home, add or remove rooms, and much more. The possibilities are endless. Environmentally Friendly – Quonset huts are usually made of a recyclable material and they can be easily set up or taken down, without damaging the landfill.
The Bottom Line
A Quonset hut is perfect for those that want to save a lot of money when buying a home and for those that want a space where they can change and modify things whenever they want to do so.
Even though such a hut may seem restrictive to some of you, keep in mind that they are custom made and can be adapted to your desires. You can decide where your door will be placed, as well as the shape of your Quonset hut (either square or semicircular).